Activity and Achievements
- DR. RAJNI PRIYANKA KUJUR
- DR. SANJANA SAMANTA
- DR. GOPAL PANDAY
- DR INDRANI NAG
- DR SAMPA MALLICK
- DR PAMELA GHOSH (MOSNCU)
- DR TARUN KUMAR NASKAR (MOSNCU)
- DR RAJIB SANTRA (MOSNCU)
- DR PARTHA PRATIM DEY (MOSNCU)
- DR MD MIJANUR RAHAMAN (MOSNCU)
- DR APURBA KUMAR ROY (MOSNCU)
- PEDIATRICS MEDICINE WARD
- BLOCK SISTER : THREE
- WARD SISTER : TWENTY ONE (66 BEDS INCLUDING 8 FOR HEMATO-ONCOLOGY UNIT AND 8 FOR PEDIATRIC NEPHROLOGY)
- BLOCK SISTER : ONE
- WARD SISTER :TWELVE (FOR 10 NICU BEDS)
- BLOCK SISTER : ONE
- WARD SISTER : SIXTEEN (FOR 32 SNCU BEDS)
POSTGRADUATE TRAINEE (PGT) FOR SESSION 2014-2017
- DR. PRANABESH SARKAR
- DR. SHILPITA BARUA
- DR. JANKI BHAGAT
- DR. MD KALAMUDDIN
- DR. AMLAN TARAI
POSTGRADUATE TRAINEE (PGT) FOR SESSION 2015-2018
- DR. GOURAV DAS
- DR. BAZLU RAHAMAN
- DR. SHAMAITA GUPTA
- DR. PANKAJ KR. SAH
- DR. RAJU ADDYA
POSTGRADUATE TRAINEE (PGT) FOR SESSION 2016-2019
- DR. ABHISHEK MAJHI
- DR. ABHISHEK NASKAR
- DR. PAROMITA NANDI
- DR. RAJESH SARKAR
- DR. ARUNAVA MITRA
List of Dissertations for session 2014-2017
- DR. PRANABESH SARKAR: An Epidemiological and Clinical Study of Preterm baby admitted in newborn unit in a tertiary care hospital with special reference to maternal antenatal corticosteroid and its short term outcome.
- DR. SHILPITA BARUA: Efficacy of body weight based versus body surface area base prednisolone regimen in Idiopathic Nephritic Syndrome-A comparative study
- DR. JANKI BHAGAT: A study on derangement in Serum Calcium status of neonate with seizure in a tertiary care hospital.
- DR. MD KALAMUDDIN: An Epidemiological study on Clinical profile and short term outcome in children of Acute Encephalitic Syndrome in a tertiary care centre of West Bengal with special reference to the various prognostic markers.
- DR. AMLAN TARAI: Prospective observational study on Thyroid profile in steroid sensitive Nephrotic Syndrome (SSNS) in children during first attack/relapse and after remission.
List of Dissertations for session 2015-2018
- DR. GOURAV DAS: Importance of Blood Pressure monitoring and control in children with Idiopathic Steroid Responsive Nephritic Syndrome.
- DR. BAZLU RAHAMAN: Feasibility of BFM-2002 in children ALL in a Tertiary care Government Hospital.
- DR. SHAMAITA GUPTA: A study to find out the incidence of Congenital Hypothyroidism in a tertiary care hospital.
- DR. PANKAJ KR. SAH: Prevalence of Overweight/Obesity in relation to dietary habits and life style in under 12 year old children.
- DR. RAJU ADDYA: Health related quality at life in Hb-e-beta thalassemia with special reference to iron overload.
List of Dissertations for session 2016-2019
- DR. ABHISHEK MAJHI: Health related quality of life in patient of Chronic Rheumatological disorder.
- DR. ABHISHEK NASKAR: An Epidemiological study on outcome of delivery room CPAP in Extremely Low Birth Weight babies in a tertiary care hospital.
- DR. PAROMITA NANDI: Comparative mortality study of Transfusion requirement among children under mechanical ventilation.
- DR. RAJESH SARKAR: Growth parameters and Vitamin D status in children aged 6-12 years with and without Beta Thalassemia Major.
- DR. ARUNAVA MITRA: Renal Replacement Therapy in first year of life: Etiology and Outcome.
The department is involved in both undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. MBBS – Per year admission 250, MD – per year admission 5
Teaching / Training programme activities
- Daily case presentation
- Weekly journal club
- Weekly grand round
- Weekly seminars
- Training program for foreign students
- Death review meeting
- Clinico-pathological conference
- Lectures and Guest Lectures
- Workshops, Quiz competition
- Lecture Classes – 65 classes (32 for 6th & 7th Semester, 33 for 8th & 9th Semester)
- Demonstration Classes
- 5 weeks – 4 days a week for 6th & 7th Semester
- 5 weeks – 4 days a week for 8th & 9th Semester
- Ward clinics
- 2 weeks for 4th & 5th Semester
- 4 weeks for 6th & 7th Semester
- 4 weeks for 8th and 9th Semester
Collaborative Programmes of the department:
1. NNF Postgraduate Quiz College Round
- NNF Postgraduate Quiz Division Round held on 22/10/2016
- 10th IAP Pediatric Quiz for Postgraduates College Round
- 10th IAP Pediatric Quiz for Postgraduates 2016, Zonal Round held on 8/11/2016,
- Facility Based New Born Care Training of Medical Officers for SNCUs
- Clinical Meeting of IAP West Bengal Branch 26/8/2016
- BSc Nurses training programme
- 29th IAP Pediatric Quiz for Undergraduates 2016 College Round held
Major Research Project:
- A pilot project entitled “Reduction of Neonatal Mortality at Nilratan Sircar Medical
College and Hospital, Kolkata, WB”
Principal Investigator: Dr Asim Kumar Mallick
Co-Investigator: Dr Birendra Nath Roy
- Safety & Efficacy of Rituximab vs. CNNI in Children with Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome
Principal Investigator: Dr Biswanath Basu
Co-Investigator: Prof. TK Sinhamahapatra, Dr. Samiran Panda
Major Achievements of the department:
- Undergraduate team was the winner of IAP Undergraduate Quiz Divisional Round held at ICH
- Undergraduate team was the winner of IAP Undergraduate Quiz Zonal Round held at ICH
- Md Klamuddin was awarded with 2nd prize in the oral presentation in East Zone Pedicon held at Park Hotel on 12th and 13th November, 2016.
Achievements of the Faculties:
Prof Tapan Kumar Sinhamahapatra
Serving as Examiner, Convener, Adjudicator, Paper setter
- Serving the Pediatric Department as Head since 1st October 2012.
- Convener for Final MBBS, 3rd Professional Part II Examination of the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) conducted in the year of 2014 & 2015.
- Convener for MD Examination of the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) conducted in the month of May, 2015.
- External examiner for MD (Ped) Examination, 2015 at Katihar Medical College, Bihar.
- External examiner for MD (Ped) Examination, 2015 at Mata Gujari Memorial Medical College, Kishanganj, Bihar.
- Adjudicator of MD (Pediatrics) thesis of WBUHS since 2009.
- Paper setter of Final MBBS, 3rd Professional Part II Examination of the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) since 2011.
- Paper setter of MD (Ped) examination of the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) since 2012.
- Appointed as Interviewer in the Departmental Promotion from RMO cum Clinical Tutor to Assistant Professor several times at Swasthya Bhawan conducted by the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS)
Prof Asim Kumar Mallick
Serving as Examiner, Adjudicator, Paper setter
- In-charge of ‘Sick Neonatal care Unit (SNCU) and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)’.
- Elected as President, Neonatal Society, West Bengal
- Appointed as EB Member, Central NNF 2015
- Awarded with Fellow NNF
- Paper Setter of MD (Pediatrics) examination of the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) in 2014.
- Adjudicator of MD (Pediatrics) thesis of the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) since 2011.
- Appointed as State level Trainer of Neonatal Advanced Life Support (NALS) training programme for Post Graduate students for the last several years.
- Appointed as a Faculty in “Facility Based New Born Care Training of Medical Officers for SNCUs” several times.
- Appointed as a Faculty in “Quality Improvement” Program/Workshop several times.
Prof Birendra Nath Roy
Serving as Examiner, Adjudicator
- Appointed as External examiner for MBBS, 3rd Professional Part II.
- Adjudicator of MD (Pediatrics) thesis of the West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS) from 2012.
Dr Madhumita Nandi
Serving as Guide for Post graduate students
A. In-charge of ‘Pediatric Rheumatology Clinic’ since June 2014. B. Reviewer of many National and International Medical Journal
- Contribution of chapter in the book:
- Contributed chapters in the book ‘Essentials of Pediatric Oncology’ second edition
- Contributed the Chapter on SLE in the Textbook of Pediatrics to be published by DR NB Mathur.
- Other Activities
- Panelist in a discussion on Infectious Diseases in the WB PEDICON 2014 organized by West Bengal Academy of Pediatrics
- Joint Secretory, West Bengal Academy of Pediatrics 2016
- Speaker in the Nutrition Week Celebration held by Nutrition Society of India and WBAP in September 2014
- Member, Editorial Board, The Child and Newborn, The Official Journal of WBAP since 2011
- Member, Organizing Committee, PEDICON 2014, WBAP
- Participated in Training of Trainers, Rational Antibiotic Practice conducted by Indian Academy of Pediatrics on 6.7.14
- Delivered a lecture on –“Breastfeeding-A Winning goal for life” in the World Breastfeeding Week celebrations by IMA on 5.8.14
- Treasurer, WB Society of Pediatric Rheumatology
- Treasurer, All India Pediatric Gastroenterology Conference held at Kolkata,2016
- Zonal Coordinator, IAP Post Graduate QUIZ
- Moderator in a session on vasculitis in the East Zone IAP CME held at Gangtok in 28th may, 2016
- Moderator in a session on Recurrent Infections in WB PEDICON 2015.
- Served as MBBS external and internal examiner several times
Dr Radheshyam Purkait
- In-charge of ‘Child Welfare Clinic’
- Participated as a Faculty in “Facility Based New Born Care Training of Medical Officers for SNCUs” conducted throughout the year at NRSMC&H.
- Contributed in the 29th IAP Pediatric Quiz for Undergraduate in College Round
- Appointed as “Mentor of the SNCUs in Hooghly District” since 17.05.2013
- Reviewer of many National and International Medical Journal
- Appointed as Internal Examiner for Final MBBS, 2017
Dr Moumita Samanta
- In-charge of ‘Pediatric Intensive Care Unit’
- In-charge of ‘Pediatric Cardiology Unit’
- Publications in various national and international journal.
- Co-investigator for NHM state based multicentric project.
- Speaker in Reumatology chapter IAP, East Zone Pedicon 2016
- Trained in Pediatric Nephrology- 2 months IPGME&R and 1 month AIIMS New Delhi.
Dr Biswanath Basu
- In-charge of ‘Pediatric Nephrology Clinic’
- The first and sole Govt. Pediatric Nephrology Centre of Eastern India, situated in this institute just completed 4 year and six months of its successful journey. This unit caters patients not only from eastern India but also from all over country.
- First in INDIA: Dedicated latest pediatric hemodialysis (Fresenius 5008 with Pediatric software) machine
- First in Eastern INDIA: Automated Peritoneal Dialysis in Newborns.
- He received Best Research paper award by European Renal Association and European Dialysis Transplant Association (ERA-EDTA) at Amsterdam in 2014.
Dr Tryambak Samanta
- Proposal to set up a Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit in collaboration with colleagues of General Medicine
- Publications in various national and international journals.
- Attended INASL conference in August, New Delhi.
- Speaker in 2nd ISPHANCON in September, 2016
- Trained in Medical Gastroenterology (DM Gastro)
- In charge of ‘Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology Clinic’
Dr Manik Mondal
- In-charge of ‘Pediatric Hemato-oncology Unit’
- MBBS, 3rd Professional Part II, Final Examination, January 2015. The West Bengal University of Health Sciences
- MBBS, 3rd Professional Part II, Supplementary Final Examination, June 2015. The West Bengal University of Health Sciences
- MBBS, 3rd Professional Part II, Final Examination, January 2016. The West Bengal University of Health Sciences
- MBBS, 3rd Professional Part II, Supplementary Final Examination, June 2016. The West Bengal University of Health Sciences
Publication from the Department during last 3 years:
- Growth of children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Mondal R, Sarkar S, Das NK, Chakravorti S, Hazra A, Sabui T, Nandi M, Ray B, Das A, Ganguli S. Indian Pediatr. 2014 Mar;51(3):199-202.
- Childhood Polyarteritis Nodosa: a prospective multicentre study from eastern India. Mondal R, Sarkar S, Pal P, Nandi M, Hazra A, Sabui TK. Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Apr;81(4):3714. doi: 10.1007/s12098-013-1256-8. Epub 2013 Oct 10.
- Etiology, clinical spectrum and outcome of metabolic liver diseases in children. Roy A, Samanta T, Purkait R, Mukherji A, Ganguly S. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2013 Mar;23(3):194-8.
- Patient health questionnaire-9 as an effective tool for screening of depression among Indian adolescents. Samrat Ganguly, Moumita Samanta, Prithwish Roy, Sukanta Chatterjee, David W Kaplan, Bharati Basu. J Adolesc Health 2013 May 2;52(5):546-51.
- Measuring new born foot length to identify small babies in need of extra care: a crosssectional hospital based study. Satarupa Mukherjee, Prithwish Roy, Souvik Mitra, Moumita Samanta, Sukanta Chatterjee. Iran J Pediatr 2013 Oct;23(5):508-12.
- Blood pressure variation with gestational age and birth weight in Indian newborn. Samanta M, Mondal R, Ray S, Sabui TK, Kundu CK, Hazra A, Chatterjee K, Sarkar D. J Trop Pediatr. 2015 Jun;61(3):197-205.
- Normative blood pressure data for Indian neonates. Samanta M, Mondal R, Ray S, Sabui T, Hazra A, Kundu C, Sarkar D, Chowdhury DR. Indian Pediatr. 2015 Aug;52(8):669-73.
- Animal Bites and Rabies Prophylaxis in Rural Children: Indian Perspective. Samanta M, Mondal R, Shah A, Hazra A, Ray S, Dhar G, Biswas R, Sabui TK, Raychaudhuri D, Chatterjee K, Kundu C, Sarkar S. J Trop Pediatr. 2016 Feb;62(1):55-62.
- Clitoral Length and Anogenital Ratio in Indian Newborn Girls. Mondal R, Chatterjee K, Samanta M, Hazra A, Ray S, Sabui TK, Banerjee B, Das S, Roychowdhury D, Biswas R. Indian Pediatr. 2016 Apr;53(4):299-303.
- Survey of musculoskeletal abnormalities in school-going children of hilly and foothill regions of Eastern Himalayas using the pediatric Gait, Arms, Legs, Spine screening method. Sabui TK, Samanta M, Mondal RK, Banerjee I, Saren A, Hazra A. Int J Rheum Dis. 2016 Jun 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Penile Length and Testicular Volume in Newborns. Mondal R, Ray S, Chatterjee K, Sabui TK, Hazra A, Das S, Chaudhuri J, Sil A, Samanta M. Indian J Pediatr. 2016 Jun 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Factors predicting mortality in newborn ventilation. Basu B, Sinha SK, Basu T, Mahapatra TK. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2014 Mar 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Favourable renal survival in paediatric microscopic polyangiitis: efficacy of a novel treatment algorithm. Basu B, Mahapatra TK, Mondal N.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2015 Apr;30 Suppl 1:i113-8. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfv016. Epub 2015 Mar 10.
- Mycophenolate Mofetil Following Rituximab in Children With Steroid-Resistant Nephrotic Syndrome. Basu B, Mahapatra TK, Mondal N. Pediatrics. 2015 Jul;136(1):e132-9.
- Regular Deworming: A Missed Opportunity to Prevent Peritoneal Dialysis-Related Infections in Children. Basu B, Mahapatra T. Perit Dial Int. 2016 Mar-Apr;36(2):223-4.
- Long-term efficacy and safety of common steroid-sparing agents in idiopathic nephrotic children.Basu B, Babu BG, Mahapatra TK. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2016 Apr 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Efficacy and outcomes of continuous peritoneal dialysis versus daily intermittent hemodialysis in pediatric acute kidney injury.Basu B, Mahapatra TK, Roy B, Schaefer F.Pediatr Nephrol. 2016 May 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Study of Clinical and laboratory profile of dengue like illness in a tertiary care hospital in West Bengal. Saumyen De, Sanjana Samanta, Sanjay Halder, Shilpita Barua. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. e-ISSN: 2279-0853, p-ISSN: 2279-0861.Volume 14, Issue 12 Ver. VI (Dec. 2015), PP 40-42.
- Clinical Profile and Outcome of Children Admitted with Acute Encephalitis Syndrome in a tertiary Care hospital in West Bengal, India. Saumyen De • Sanjana Samanta • Sanjay Halder • Pronabesh Sarkar. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) eISSN: 2279-0853, p-ISSN: 2279-0861.Volume 14, Issue 11 Ver. VII (Nov. 2015), PP 08-12.
MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECT : Following section includes Protocol of the Study (“RITURNS (rituximab for relapse prevention in nephrotic syndrome)”)
Protocol Number: Pednephro RCT/PM/NRSMCH-54